This recipe for Italian Lemon Roasted Chicken is a perfect example of how beautiful and simple Italian cooking can be. Chicken Thighs roast with the flavors of lemon, rosemary, olive and summer vegetables.
- 10 to 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large lemon
- 1/3 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of fresh rosemary
- 2 and 1/2 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into about 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups of baby carrots
- 1 zucchini, chopped into 1 inch pieces, sprinkled with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can large pitted black olives
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Trim the fat off the chicken thighs. Place them in a shallow marinating dish large enough to hold them in a single layer. Zest the lemon and sprinkle half the zest over the chicken. Save the rest. Juice the lemon and pour the juice over the chicken, tossing to coat well. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a large roasting pan. Add the rest of the lemon zest, the sliced onion and garlic, and half the rosemary sprigs. Drizzle the olive oil over and toss all ingredients together gently. Now let it marinate at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken marinates, place the potatoes and carrots in a large pot and cover them with water at least 1 inch above the top of the contents. Bring to a boil and cook for just 2 minutes, long enough to par-boil them, then drain well and add to the chicken. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Place the chicken and potatoes into the oven and roast for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through. Stir in the zucchini and flip the chicken. Continue to roast, flipping chicken once more, until the chicken has reached 165 degrees in the center on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the oven and discard the cooked rosemary. Replace with fresh sprigs. Sprinkle the canned olives over the chicken. Serve immediately.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 chicken thigh + 1/2 cup vegetables
- Calories: 257
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 605 mg
- Fat: 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.2 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 20.6 g
- Cholesterol: 80 mg