A creamy, savory and deliciously satisfying soup made with rice and roast zucchini. Substitute chicken stock with vegetable stock for a vegetarian version.
- 2 medium sized zucchini~ (about 10 inches long) or 3 small store bought (about 6 to 8 inches)
- 1/2 onion minced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (not extra virgin)
- Salt and pepper
- 7 cups of chicken broth/stock
- 3/4 cup of white rice (not instant) or rice of your choice
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Set the oven to 425 degrees and move oven rack to center. Wash and slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Chop the zucchini into 1 inch size chunks and place in a medium sized mixing bowl. Chop onion into 1 inch chunks, separating the layers after doing so and add to the chopped zucchini. Pour olive oil over and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss or mix to coat evenly. Spread the zucchini and onion onto a large rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes, flipping the zucchini pieces over about half way through. Use a good spatula to remove any bits that stick to the pan to add to the soup. When most reach golden brown remove from oven.
- In two batches, place the roasted zucchini and onion in a blender and each time add two cups of chicken broth. Puree until smooth. Pour into a large pot or dutch oven with a well fitting lid. Pour in rice and the rest of the chicken broth and stir to incorporate. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover and simmer on medium low for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
- Off heat, stir in the heavy cream and salt to taste. Serve.
- Category: Soup