A delicious American classic wrapped up in a cute little package. Your own little apple pie wrapped in a sweet flaky crust.
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- Apple Dumplings
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins, chopped
- 4 Golden Delicious apples
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Cider Sauce
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor until combined. Scatter butter and shortening over flour mixture and process until mixture resembles wet sand. You may have to stop periodically and scrape down the sides. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in buttermilk until a sticky dough forms. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead briefly until dough is soft and not sticky. Press dough into 8 by 4 inch rectangle, using a ruler to measure. Cut in half, wrap each half tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- In second bowl, combine softened butter, raisins, and 3 tablespoons of the cinnamon sugar mixture from step 2. Peel apples and halve through center equator. Remove the core with a melon baller or metal rounded teaspoon and pack butter mixture into each apple half.
- On lightly floured surface, roll each dough half into approximately a 12 inch square. Cut each 12 inch square into four equal squares. Working one at a time, lightly brush edges of dough square with egg white and place apple, cut side up, in center of each square. Gather dough one corner at a time on top of apple, crimping edges to seal. Using pairing knife, cut vent hole in top of each dumpling.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange dumplings on prepared baking sheet, brush tops with egg white, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar. Bake until dough is golden brown and juices are bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes. Serve with cider sauce and ice cream.
- Instructions for Cider Sauce
- Combine the cider, water, sugar and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat until thickened and reduced to 1 and 1/2 cups.
- Off heat, whisk in the butter and lemon juice. Drizzle over apple dumplings and serve. (If making this ahead, refrigerate after step 1. Follow step 2 just before you’re ready to serve, warming the sauce on the stove top first while the dumplings are baking.)
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American