Super-grain Quinoa, fresh broccoli and Gruyere cheese come together to create a gourmet chicken casserole that tastes great and makes you happy knowing you are eating healthy!
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 cup cooked crumbled bacon (about 3 slices)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons Emeril’s Essence seasoning
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Set your oven to heat to 400 degrees. Grease a 9X13 inch baking dish well with shortening. In a small mixing bowl, whisk 1/2 cup milk, flour and poultry seasoning until combined. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk just to boiling, then whisk in the milk/flour mixture and bring to a boil. Continue to boil, stirring constantly until sauce thickens, then remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the bacon, quinoa, one cup of water and the white sauce. Pour into your prepared baking dish. Pat the chicken breast dry with paper towels. Slice into thin slices (approx 1/4 inch wide) and lay them on top of the white sauce mixture in the dish. Season with Emeril’s basic blend by sprinkling all over the chicken. Place the casserole in the oven and bake for at least 30 to 40 minutes, or until the quinoa is soft, the chicken cooked through and the sauce is thick and reduced.
- While the casserole bakes, steam the broccoli florets by placing them in boiling water for about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and rinse the broccoli under cold water. Set aside.
- When the chicken and quinoa have finished baking, stir in the broccoli florets and an additional 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water if needed. The casserole should be creamy and smooth and stir around easily. Sprinkle on the cheese and pop it back in the oven for about 5 minutes to melt. Serve.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American