These pancakes are a terrific way to pack in the vitamins for a healthy and hearty breakfast that’s deliciously filling and will give you the energy to start your day right.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup apple juice concentrate
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus 2 teaspoons
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup very finely chopped dried apricots
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, wheat germ, walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, juice concentrate, sweet potato, 2 tablespoons of oil, eggs and vanilla together until smooth.
- Pour the bowl of wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir to combine, then stir in the apricots.
- In a large nonstick skillet or griddle, heat a teaspoon of oil. Spoon batter onto surface using 1/4 cup measuring cup. Batter will be thick, and if you wish you can spread it around a bit to create thinner pancakes. Flip when edges are done, about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Cook other side for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter and add oil to the cooking surface as needed.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American