- 2 cups of heavy cream that has NOT been ultra-pasturized
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes and chilled
- 2/3 plus 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 cup dried cherries plumped
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- The night before you plan on making your scones, fill a medium sized baking dish with heavy cream to about 1 1/2 inches deep. Place in the oven uncovered and set your oven to heat to 180 degrees. Leave the cream in the oven at this temperature overnight (or for about 8 to 10 hours). In the morning the cream will have a yellow ‘skin’ (this is normal).
- Remove the baking dish and let cool on the counter for at least 30 minutes before placing in the fridge, covered, to chill while you move on to the scones recipe. Cream should chill for at least 1 hour.
- When cream is chilled, gently scoop the thickened top layer into a container. The light milk/cream liquid that is left can be used for creamer in drinks. Do Not vigorously stir the clotted cream or it will over thicken and become dry and clumpy. If you want to stir it up a bit, do it slowly!
- Place all dry ingredients into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to completely mix them together. Sprinkle butter cubes over the flour mixture and process until the butter pieces are about the size of a small pea.
- Drizzle the cream over the mixture and add the cherries and zest. Process for about 10 to 20 seconds, until the dough comes together and the cherries are finely chopped.
- Empty dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and form dough into a rectangle about 1 and 1/2 inches thick. Cut into triangles, separate each piece about an inch apart and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, move your oven rack to the middle position and preheat your oven to 375 degrees. When the dough is chilled, remove from the fridge and brush with cream. Sprinkle sugar over the cream. Place the cookie sheet with parchment paper and dough on top into the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until edges are slightly golden. Remove and let cool on a wire rack. Serve with butter or clotted cream.
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: English
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Calories: 207
- Sugar: 13.9
- Sodium: 244.3
- Fat: 5.8
- Saturated Fat: 3.5
- Carbohydrates: 35.9
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 2.9
- Cholesterol: 15.7
Keywords: Scones, British Baking, cherries, clotted cream, cherry scones