Sweet, salty, savory and crunchy all in one little bite, these little appetizers are deliciously addicting.
- 2 cans Water Chestnuts
- 2 packages of your favorite bacon
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 tablespoon freshly grated)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the water chestnuts, soy sauce, apple juice, ketchup and ginger. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to 4 hours. Place toothpicks in water to soak while the water chestnuts marinate.
- Cut each package of bacon in half with kitchen scissors (cross wise, not lengthwise). Drain the water chestnuts of marinade. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place a wire rack inside and spray with cooking spray. Fill a small container with the brown sugar.
- Heat your broiler on low and set an oven rack at least two inches below. Wrap each water chestnut in 1/2 slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Dip into the brown sugar and press to adhere. Place on the wire rack set in the baking sheet. When finished wrapping, place in the oven and broil for about 5 or 6 minutes or until the bacon is cooked and fat is rendered. Serve warm.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Serving Size: 2