- 3 cups of flour (use a low-protein flour like Gold Medal or Pillsbury)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons powdered cultured buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 1/4 inch cubes and softened, plus one tablespoon melted butter for crust
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Move an oven rack to middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients (both flours, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and powdered buttermilk) and whisk together.
- With clean hands, work the little cubes of butter into the flour, smashing them smaller and smaller until no more large chunks remain. Pour in the water and mix with a fork until the dough starts clumping and coming together.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean and floured surface. Knead until the dough comes together into one cohesive ball. It should be a bit lumpy. (If you try to knead until smooth it will be really tough.) Pat the dough into a 6 inch round and about 2 inches thick in the middle. With a sharp knife, score a large ‘X’ on top, at least 1/2 inch deep. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer from the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter.Cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into the bread.
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: Irish