Coconut Cream pie deconstructed and served in a really fun dish; a freshly opened coconut!
Coconuts and garnishes
- 2 whole coconuts
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 graham crackers
- 2 Carr’s whole wheat crackers
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 can of Redi Whip (or your choice of whipped cream)
- 3/4 cup of well shaken or stirred coconut milk
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon separated
- pinch of salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Prepare coconuts by opening one of the ‘eyes’ and letting the coconut water drain out. With a hammer, gently tap around the center of the coconut while it is placed on a hard surface (I used my cement back porch.) Continue to hammer around the middle until coconut is separated into two halves. Rinse the inside and blot dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Adjust an oven rack to middle position and heat the oven to 325 degrees. Spread the shredded coconut in a small baking container (any kind will do, I used a pie plate) and place in the oven to toast it. Toast for about 9 minutes, stirring every two minutes until the coconut turns a nutty brown color. Remove and set aside.
- Place the graham crackers, Carr’s crackers, and 1 tablespoon toasted shredded coconut in a ziplock sandwich bag and lightly pound to medium/fine crumbs.
- In a medium pot, whisk together the coconut milk, whole milk, 1/4 cup shredded coconut, and 1/3 cup sugar and set over medium high heat. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1 tablespoon sugar and cornstarch until smooth. When the milk mixture comes to a boil, whisk about half of it into the egg mixture, pouring slowly, to temper. Replace pot over heat and whisk in the milk/egg mixture. Bring to a full boil for about 30 seconds to thicken the pudding, then remove from heat. Whisk in the vanilla and butter. Set aside to cool.
- In a small microwave safe container, melt the chocolate chips on medium power for about one to two minutes and stir until smooth. Place a spoonful of melted chocolate in the center of four dessert plates. Press the bottom of each coconut into the chocolate and chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove the coconuts from the fridge. Place a spoonful (tablespoon) of cracker crumbs in the bottom of each coconut. Divide and fill the coconut pudding among each of the four coconuts. If not serving right away, cover each with plastic wrap and store in the fridge. When ready to serve, squirt whip cream over the top and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Garnish with cocktail umbrellas if desired. Serve and smile.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 half coconut