Mounds of fluffy whipped marshmallow top a rich chocolate cupcake. Then it’s all smothered in rich chocolate magic shell.
- 1 Box of Devil’s Food chocolate cake mix
- whole eggs
- vegetable oil
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons of coconut oil
- 34 cupcake liners
- Set the oven to heat to 350 degrees. Following the directions on your box of cake mix, prepare the cake batter using the suggested amount of eggs and oil on the box. This will vary depending on the brand of cake mix you buy.
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Fill the liners sparingly with batter, no more than 1/3 full. Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes or until the tops are firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the tin and cool on a wire rack. Repeat baking until you have used up all the batter.
- In a heatproof bowl, add the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. (If you have a stand mixer, use it’s bowl.) Set over a pot of simmering water and whisk by hand for about 5 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm. Remove the bowl and add the vanilla. Whip the egg white mixture to stiff peaks with a hand held mixer or with a stand mixer with the whip attachment.
- Fill a large pastry bag fitted with a round tip (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch in diameter is best) with the marshmallow cream. Pipe the cream onto each cupcake, starting in the center and swirling around the edge and then up and towards the center again (like a soft serve ice cream cone). Place the frosted cupcakes in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe container. Cook on half power for about a minute. Stir the melted chips and oil together until smooth. (Can be cooked a little longer in the microwave if needed, on half power, to fully melt. Be careful not to scorch the chocolate.)
- Place the melted chocolate into a tall cup wide enough to dip the cupcakes. Remove from the fridge and dunk the frosted portion into the chocolate. Try to cover the entire top, so no white is peaking out. If some spots are missed, just drizzle a little chocolate over the spot to cover. If desired, sprinkles can be added at this time. Place the finished cupcakes back in the fridge to set, at least 30 minutes. Serve and smile.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American