A recipe for Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Pie ~ everyone say ‘Yay!’
Strawberry Rhubarb pie is a timeless classic that I was introduced to in Canada years ago, but plenty of Americans eat it too :0) Lately I’ve been seeing stalks of bright reddish pink rhubarb at my local grocery store and they reminded me of the pie I had eaten long ago in the great white north. When my children presented me with a beautiful pie plate for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, I knew exactly what kind of pie I would ‘christen’ it with! (My kids sure love their mama…)
A great tasting Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Pie recipe anyone can make.
If you follow my recipe for foolproof pie dough, this pie is a sinch. Whip up a batch of pie dough in your food processor, blind bake it in the oven, and your pie crust is ready. What makes this pie simple is that it’s an ‘open face’ pie; i.e. no top crust. Which is nice, since that fancy top crust can sometimes trip up a novice baker. So skip it. I think this pie is prettier without it. Look at that color!
For the filling, simply mix some sugar and water in a large pot on the stove (the large pot will come in handy later), set it to boil, add in some chopped fresh rhubarb stems, powdered strawberry Jello-O mix and cornstarch. Remove from heat, and stir in the sliced strawberries until they are fully incorporated. Pour mixture into your pie shell, cover with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge to chill for about 4 hours. Pat yourself on the back; you just made a homemade pie from scratch that is totally simple and amazingly good! If you’re a sucker for strawberries, check out my recipe for Easy Three-Step Strawberry Cream pie. It’s one of my most popular recipes :0) Happy Baking my friends!
Fresh, tart, chopped rhubarb is boiled in a sugar syrup with strawberry gelatin and a bit of cornstarch. Mix in sliced strawberries and pour into a prebaked pie shell. Chill and serve.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water plus additional 1/4 cup cold water, divided
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1 small package strawberry jell-o mix
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries hulled sliced (large ones quartered, small ones halved)
- 1 prebaked pie shell
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, 3/4 cup water and sliced rhubarb. Set to heat on medium high, stirring occasionally. In a separate small bowl, mix the cold 1/4 cup water and cornstarch. Set aside. Measure out three tablespoons of strawberry jell-o mix and set aside.
- When the sugar rhubarb mixture comes to a boil, stir in the jell-o and the water cornstarch mix. Boil for one minute, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the sliced strawberries and pour into the pie shell. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours. Slice and serve with ice cream or whipped topping.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Free ebook for all Subscribers!
What will you stuff in your sopapillas? Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Sopapilla Fiesta! today with six recipe combinations of stuffings and chili sauces. Bonus dessert recipe included!