The best minestrone just got better with the addition of whole grain sweet potato gnocchi.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced on the bias (diagonally)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery stalks chopped fine
- 1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz can of fire roasted diced tomato
- 1 15.5 oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans
- 1 15 oz can green beans (or two cups fresh beans, cut into 1 inch lengths)
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale or spinach
- salt and pepper
- shredded parmesan cheese to garnish
- In a large dutch oven, heat oil on medium high until just smoking. Add in onion, carrot, bell pepper and celery and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Saute for about 4 minutes, or until the vegetables become soft. Add in the Zucchini and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Clear a spot in the center of the dutch oven and add in the garlic, rosemary and thyme. Stir for about 30 seconds until very fragrant, then stir into the vegetables.
- Add in the broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, cannellini beans, green beans, parsley and one teaspoon salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn the heat to low. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and pour in the gnocchi, then add the kale or spinach. Cook for about 5 minutes or until most of the gnocchi are floating at the surface. Remove from heat and season to taste. Sprinkle individual servings with parmesan cheese and serve.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 cup