25 Minute Tortellini and Sausage Dinner will be your new favorite weeknight recipe!
I shared a picture of this lovely little dinner I had whipped up last week on instagram, and it was a big hit. It was part of the Smith’s Grocery Taste of Italy campaign that I’m helping out with. So many amazing foods, so little time…. Anyway, I thought I’d share the recipe on my blog so everyone can have an opportunity to try it!
Just imagine fresh, cheese stuffed pasta and chunks of flavorful Italian sausage tossed together with a silky cream sauce. Paired with a slice of crusty bread, olive oil and your favorite beverage, you’d think you were at some fancy Italian restaurant. Then reality hits. You’re sitting at home after a hard day’s work with a gourmet meal in front of you, and this meal only took 25 minutes to make!
You’ll only need three main ingredients for 25 Minute Tortellini and Sausage Dinner, the rest you probably already have on hand (at least I did). Make a quick visit to any Kroger’s grocery store and pick up a package of fresh cheese stuffed Tortellini, some Gorgonzola cheese, and some mild or sweet Italian Sausage links. When you get home, begin boiling the water for the tortellini right away. While the water is heating, cut the sausage into chunks and cook them until no longer pink in a large frying pan. Then you’ll add in some cream, chicken broth, gorgonzola cheese, and oregano. This cooks down into a great silky, creamy cheese sauce while your pasta is cooking. When the pasta is done, drain the water and add the pasta to the pan with the sausage and cream sauce. Dish it up and garnish with some parmesan cheese. That’s it! Say “I love crazy easy fast dinners!” And it’s soooooo delicious….
This recipe adapted from ‘Stuffed Pasta with Sausage and Cheese’ found on Italianworldflavor.comPrint
Fresh cheese stuffed pasta and Italian sausage combined with a creamy sauce that’s ready in about 20 minutes. Italian cooking doesn’t get any better than this!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (not evoo)
- 6 oz. Kroger Sweet Italian Sausages (about 3), cut into 1″ pieces
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 9 oz. package of stuffed fresh tortellini (or frozen if you can’t find fresh)
- ½ cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 oz. gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (or substitute with your favorite Italian cheese)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves, loosely packed or 1 Tbsp. dried
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fill a 4 quart pot or dutch oven with 3 quarts of water. Set to boil and cover with a lid. When water comes to a boil, add 1 Tbsp. salt and tortellini. Follow package directions on cooking times and boil uncovered until desired doneness.
- While waiting for the pasta water to boil, set a large pan over medium high heat and add olive oil and sausage pieces. Cook until no longer pink, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Leaving the sausage in the pan, slowly pour in the chicken broth and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in the cream, cheese and oregano. Cook until thick and creamy, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When pasta is done, drain and add to the sausage cream sauce. Toss to coat. Serve with fresh grated parmesan on top.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Free ebook for all Subscribers!
What will you stuff in your sopapillas? Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Sopapilla Fiesta! today with six recipe combinations of stuffings and chili sauces. Bonus dessert recipe included!