Incredibly delicious carrot cake with the perfect pairing of frosting.
Chai Carrot Cupcakes
- 2 and 3/4 cup Organic Bob’s Red Mill flour
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh fine ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound of carrots, peeled and tops trimmed
- 1 and 1/4 cups of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup applesauce
Mascarpone Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 16 oz mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 7 cups confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Set your oven to heat to 350 degrees and move the oven rack to the middle position. Set desired cupcake liners in a 12 cup muffin tin and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, pepper, clove and salt. Set aside.
- Finely shred carrots in a food processor using a shredding disk. Empty shredded carrots into the flour mixture and rinse the bowl and blades.
- In a clean food processor bowl add in the sugars and eggs. Process for about 20 seconds until smooth. With the machine on low, slowly drizzle the oil down through the feeding tube. Pour in the applesauce and process just until blended.
- Empty the liquid mixture into a large mixing bowl and add in the carrots and dry ingredients by gently folding until no white streaks remain. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake at 350 degrees for 17-22 minutes, rotating halfway through for even baking. Remove from the muffin tin and repeat with remaining batter. Let baked cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter, mascarpone and cream cheese until smooth and light. Slowly add in the sugar and vanilla. Once all ingredients are added, whip the frosting for about 5 minutes. Chill for 1 hour before piping onto cupcakes.
This recipe is written for baking at 5500 ft. If baking at sea level reduce the flour to 2 and 1/2 cups and increase the baking powder to 1 and 1/2 teaspoons.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake