- 2 and 1/2 cups Golden Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Corn Syrup
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- (For a 1100 watt microwave.)
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter on half power. Add in all other ingredients and stir to combine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave at full power for 8 minutes.
- Remove the bowl and slowly remove the plastic wrap, being careful not to get burned by steam. Stir and place bowl, uncovered, back in the microwave. Cook the caramel for another 7 minutes and remove. Whisk in vanilla extract. For candy making: pour into a 9X13 pan that is lined with foil and greased/sprayed. Let cool and cut. For apples: Immediately twirl apples in hot caramel and let excess drip off into the bowl. Place on parchment paper to cool.
If you’re making caramel apples, you need to quickly cover your apples before the caramel cools. It won’t stick to the apples if it gets too cool.