An old world Italian dish with style, Cheesy Stuffed Manicotti is delicious and versatile. It’s quick enough to be a weeknight dinner, and fancy enough to be a weekend dish for entertaining friends and family.
- 1 Box Manicotti shells
- 3 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 15-ounce container of ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried basil, or 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley, or one tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1 24-ounce Jar of your favorite tomato based marinara sauce ( I love RAO’s)
- Set your oven to heat to 350 degrees F and lightly spray a 13 X 9 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large stockpot, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and the manicotti shells one at a time. Set a clean kitchen towel out on the counter next to the pot. Boil the manicotti shells for 5 minutes, then remove the shells from the water and place them on the towel in a single layer.
- While the manicotti cooks, stir together 3 cups of mozzarella cheese, 1 cup of parmesan cheese, the entire container of ricotta cheese, basil, parsley and eggs. Pour enough marinara sauce into the baking dish to just cover the bottom.
- Load cheese mixture into a gallon sized zippered bag. Snip a tiny portion of the corner to an opening of about 1/2 inch – 3/4 inch. Pipe each manicotti shell with the cheese mixture and set it into the baking dish on top of the marinara sauce. Fill the baking dish with a single layer of stuffed manicotti. Pour the remainder of the jar of Marinara sauce over the top, trying to cover as much exposed pasta as possible (I use a spoon to spread it around if necessary).
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/2 cup of Mozzarella and 1/2 cup parmesan. Cover with foil and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil cover and continue to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese on top is bubbly and brown. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian