Fresh and Wholesome, Feta Citrus Salad is a Delight
I am absolutely in love with this Feta Citrus Salad! Totally my new favorite salad, so easy, fresh and delicious.
Fresh and healthy ingredients come together to create deliciousness in every bite; minced shallot, fresh Cara Cara oranges, Blood orange, crumbled Feta, baby greens, cranberries, evoo, all topped off with the sweet crunch of candied pecans!
To get lovely thin wedges of fresh citrus for Feta Citrus Salad, start by cutting the ends off the citrus fruit, then cutting off the rest of the peel with a small knife.
Slice the remaining fruit on its side by cutting down to the center, then cutting down right next to it, making a ‘wedge’ shape. Try to avoid the white center parts. This salad is also accented with shallots, a milder cousin of the onion. If you’ve never picked up a shallot from the produce aisle before, not to worry, they can usually be found close to the onions.
How to mince a shallot
- Slice the stem end off
- Standing on the cut end, slice it in half from poll to poll and remove outer brown layer
- Lay one half flat on a cutting board and make horizontal slices from cut side back towards the root end, but NOT all the way through
- Make vertical slices across the cut end with your knife facing the root end of the shallot
- Place your knife about 1/16th inch back from the stem end and slice all the way through, creating tiny cubes of shallot
The dressing for this salad is so lovely and simple~ shake together olive oil, minced shallot and freshly squeezed citrus juice and season it with salt and pepper.
Toss the greens with the feta cheese, candied pecans, dried cranberries and then the simple dressing. Top it off with lots of beautiful bright slices of citrus fruit and your Feta Citrus Salad is ready to be enjoyed!
This fresh Feta Citrus Salad is delicious, beautiful and simple. It’s a delightful mix of rustic and wholesome ingredients like baby spinach, kale, feta cheese, olive oil, candied pecans, cranberries and shallot that highlight the sweet juicy taste of freshly sliced citrus fruit to create a symphony of sweet flavors in your mouth. One of my all-time favorite salads!
- 2 ripe oranges or 4 tangerines
- 1 blood orange
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (5-ounce) bag spring lettuce mix
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup candied pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Juice one orange (or tangerine) and set aside. Slice the ends off the remaining citrus fruits and then slice the rest of the peels off. Cut the fruits into thin wedges or slices and set aside.
- Mix 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed juice, minced shallot, salt, pepper, and olive oil together to make the dressing.
- Place spring mix into a large salad bowl and top with feta cheese, candied nuts and cranberries. Pour dressing over salad and gently toss to coat. Divide into four servings and top each with a few slices of the citrus fruit and serve.
Try to use two different orange citrus fruits in this salad for more flavor variety. I recommend choosing any two of the following: tangerines (use four), navel oranges, cara cara oranges, tangelos, blood oranges, grapefruit. If choosing grapefruit, be sure to choose a sweeter companion fruit such as cara cara orange or tangelos.
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 362
- Sugar: 13.1 g
- Sodium: 526 mg
- Fat: 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.2 g
- Fiber: 6.6 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 25 mg
Free ebook for all Subscribers!
What will you stuff in your sopapillas? Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Sopapilla Fiesta! today with six recipe combinations of stuffings and chili sauces. Bonus dessert recipe included!