This fresh Feta Citrus Salad is delicious, beautiful and simple. It’s a delightful mix of rustic and wholesome ingredients like baby spinach, kale, feta cheese, olive oil, candied pecans, cranberries and shallot that highlight the sweet juicy taste of freshly sliced citrus fruit to create a symphony of sweet flavors in your mouth. One of my all-time favorite salads!
- 2 ripe oranges or 4 tangerines
- 1 blood orange
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (5-ounce) bag spring lettuce mix
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup candied pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Juice one orange (or tangerine) and set aside. Slice the ends off the remaining citrus fruits and then slice the rest of the peels off. Cut the fruits into thin wedges or slices and set aside.
- Mix 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed juice, minced shallot, salt, pepper, and olive oil together to make the dressing.
- Place spring mix into a large salad bowl and top with feta cheese, candied nuts and cranberries. Pour dressing over salad and gently toss to coat. Divide into four servings and top each with a few slices of the citrus fruit and serve.
Try to use two different orange citrus fruits in this salad for more flavor variety. I recommend choosing any two of the following: tangerines (use four), navel oranges, cara cara oranges, tangelos, blood oranges, grapefruit. If choosing grapefruit, be sure to choose a sweeter companion fruit such as cara cara orange or tangelos.
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 362
- Sugar: 13.1 g
- Sodium: 526 mg
- Fat: 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.2 g
- Fiber: 6.6 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 25 mg