My favorite elements from several homemade cinnamon roll recipes are combined into one just-right recipe, creating Goldilocks Kitchen Cinnamon Rolls. Ooey, gooey perfection smothered with the most delicious finger-licking cream cheese vanilla butter frosting!
- 2 tablespoons shortening or butter for greasing baking dishes
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons *rapid rise* yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 4 ounces room temperature cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Grease two 9 by 13 baking dishes with butter or Crisco and set aside. Move an oven rack to the middle position. Place the water, butter and sugar in a glass measuring cup or microwave safe container. Microwave in small increments to warm the mixture to 130 degrees F. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attached. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together 3 cups flour, yeast and salt.
- Turn the stand mixer on to the lowest setting and slowly add the flour mixture (this should take about a minute or two). Stop and scrape the bowl as needed and add the egg. Turn the machine to medium low and knead for about 5 minutes, slowing adding in the last 1/2 cup flour, a couple spoonfuls at a time. When the 5 minutes is up, add in one more spoonful of flour and stop the machine just as the dough pulls away from the bowl. Remove the dough hook and cover the bowl with tightly fitting plastic wrap and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, scraping it out of the bowl if it sticks. Sprinkle the top with a little flour. This dough should be very soft and easily pliable. Stretch and push it into a rectangle with your hands, about 12 inches by 18 inches.
- Leaving about 1/2 inch of dough clean on the long sides, spread all the melted butter over the dough with a pastry brush or spatula. Mix the sugars and spices in a bowl, and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the butter. Tightly roll the dough from long side to long side, pinching the seam closed. Cut rolls out with floss, approximately 3/4 to 1 inch thick and place in the greased baking dishes in a single layer.
- Cover the baking dishes tightly with plastic wrap and set them in a warm place to rise. Set your oven to 325 degrees F. When the dough has almost doubled, remove the plastic wrap and place the baking dishes side by side in the oven. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the slightest golden color appears on the topmost parts of the rolls.
- While the rolls are baking, beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and half and half together until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar until incorporated. Pour icing over fresh-from-the-oven cinnamon rolls. Let cool for about 10 minutes, then serve.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cinnamon roll
- Calories: 227
- Sugar: 19.4 g
- Sodium: 213 mg
- Fat: 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.5 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 43 mg