Simple and savory Weeknight Roasted Chicken with Red Potatoes will have a wholesome home cooked dinner on the table in about 30 minutes.
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons chicken seasoning of your choice, or salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5–6 medium red potatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium lemon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into three chunks
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Set your oven to heat to 450 degrees F and move an oven rack to the lowest position. Slice the red potatoes into wedges and place in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Set a 12-inch skillet over medium high heat and add the vegetable oil. Pat chicken dry on all sides with paper towels and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chicken seasoning. Place in the hot skillet, skin side down. Let them cook, untouched, for about 5-7 minutes. When the skin side is nice and golden brown, remove the chicken and place in a roasting pan, skin side up. Place the pan in the oven, uncovered, and roast the chicken for about 20 minutes until it reaches 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the meat. Remove from the oven when done.
- While the chicken cooks, pour about 1 tablespoon of oil into the potatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes with chicken seasoning and toss to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave the potatoes for about 6 minutes, stopping to toss the potatoes in the bowl half way through so they cook evenly.
- Carefully remove any excess grease in the skillet used for the chicken and add a tablespoon oil. Set it back over medium high heat. Drain the potatoes and carefully add them to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove potatoes and pour in chicken broth, scraping up the brown bits in the pan. Turn off the heat. Slice the lemon in half and add the juice into the skillet (watch for seeds). Whisk in the butter and thyme. Drizzle over chicken and potatoes and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 to 1 chicken breast + 6 potato wedges
- Calories: 425
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 160 mg
- Fat: 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.7 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 38.8 g
- Cholesterol: 122 mg