This beautiful pasta dinner is made with a few simple fresh garden veggies and is hardy enough to please any meat-lover on meatless monday. It’s a fast & healthy weeknight dish too- especially when you use vegetable infused rotini pasta.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small zucchini chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 small sized tomatoes or one large tomato, core and seeds removed, flesh chopped into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 medium sized carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 12 ounce box vegetable rotini pasta or regular rotini pasta
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Fill a large pot with approximately 3 quarts of water and place over high heat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes. Place chopped zucchini pieces into the skillet and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Saute (cook) for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the zucchini is browning on some sides. Remove from heat, transfer to a clean bowl and stir in chopped tomato.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add in 2 more tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the onion and carrots to the skillet and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Stir often until the carrots are lightly browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook for about 30 seconds, then stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gently pour in the chicken broth, stirring and scraping up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Bring the skillet contents to a gentle boil until thickened, about 1 or 2 minutes, then remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Add the rotini to the now boiling pot of water along with 1 tablespoon of salt. Stir and boil until al dente. Drain pasta and place in serving dish or platter. Pour zucchini sauce over pasta. Drizzle one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over the dish, and sprinkle fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese over the top and serve.
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 421 mg
- Fat: 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.3 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 10.8 g
- Cholesterol: 39 mg