This make ahead breakfast casserole is perfect for those crazy back to school mornings
I was first introduced to Green Chile Breakfast Cubes (or ‘Chile Cubes‘ as we call them) during a potluck/tailgate at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta a couple years back. There is always tailgating for pilots and crew after (not before!!) the flights, and since most flights happen in the early morning hours when the winds are calm and the air cool, food and drinks appear as early as 9am sometimes ;0) Chile cubes are always a huge hit; if I don’t grab one right away I miss out.
Make ahead breakfast recipes like Green Chile Breakfast Cubes are a great option when you don’t have time to cook a hearty breakfast in the morning. Just throw all the ingredients together the night before, and bake it while you (and family) get ready for your busy day. Place your Chile Cubes in a cute insulated bag like this one or this one, right out of the oven and take it with you for a work potluck (or hot air ballooning tailgate); they are always a huge hit! I like to pair a chile cube with a bran muffin or whole wheat toast, then I can have a protein and fiber filled breakfast to keep me feeling full and give me plenty of energy in the morning.
Green Chile Breakfast Cubes are sooo easy to make.
Green Chile Breakfast Cubes are so simple! You’ll just need:
- cooked breakfast sausage
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- shredded cheddar cheese
- diced green chile
You’ll first need to fully cook the sausage. I like using Jimmy Dean classic ground breakfast sausage.
While the sausage browns, measure out the chile and cheeses. Add the sausage when it’s done.
Whisk 10 eggs and 1/2 cup milk together and season with salt and pepper. Pour it into the chile, cheese, sausage bowl and stir it all together.
Pour the mixture into a casserole dish (I recommend these cute casserole dishes) lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Now you can cover this tightly with plastic wrap and set it in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Simply remove the plastic wrap and bake the Green Chile Breakfast Cubes casserole when it’s convenient for you. Cut the casserole into cubes to serve and watch them disappear! I made a couple batches for Girl’s Camp for my church this summer and the girls devoured them. Feel free to add more green chile into the recipe if you are a green chile lover (like me!). Enjoy and leave me a comment on this recipe below :0)Print
A hearty make-ahead breakfast featuring the amazing flavor of roasted green chile. Simply called “Chile Cubes”, pair a cube with a bran muffin or oatmeal for a high protein/fiber breakfast to begin your day right!
- 1/2 pound of Jimmy Dean Ground Pork Sausage
- 1/2 cup milk
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces of grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 ounces of grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 7 ounces of roasted chopped green chiles
- Set your oven to heat to 350 degrees F and an oven rack to middle position. Spray a casserole dish lightly with cooking spray and set aside.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat until fully cooked. Drain excess oil.
- While the sausage browns, lightly whisk milk,eggs, salt and pepper together in a medium size mixing bowl or large measuring cup until all yolks are broken.
- Combine the Monterey Jack cheese, half the sharp Cheddar cheese, and the chopped chiles in a large mixing bowl. When the sausage is cooked and drained, add it to the cheese and chiles.
- Pour in the egg mixture and gently stir all ingredients to combine. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish and sprinkle remaining sharp Cheddar cheese over the top. Bake for about 35 minutes or until the center is set and doesn’t wiggle. Let cool for 5 minutes and cut into cubes and serve.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cube
- Calories: 312
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 546 mg
- Fat: 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.2 g
- Protein: 19.8 g
- Cholesterol: 203 mg
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made from links I have posted on this page. These commissions help support the Goldilocks Kitchen and enable me to continue to bring you great recipes and product recommendations.
Free ebook for all Subscribers!
What will you stuff in your sopapillas? Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Sopapilla Fiesta! today with six recipe combinations of stuffings and chili sauces. Bonus dessert recipe included!