Caramel Chocolate Oatmeal Chewies are the perfect bars you need for your ultimate chocolate-caramel fix.
These gooey, chewy Caramel Chocolate Oatmeal Chewies are the best tasting cookie bars to satisfy your caramel cravings. Load them up with drizzly caramel for lip smacking goodness. They are really easy to throw together and are always a hit at picnics, in lunch boxes and holiday cookie exchanges. They taste like a cross between a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie and a blondie brownie.
How to make Caramel Chocolate Oatmeal Chewies
You’ll start by creating an oatmeal ‘streusel’ for the bottom made from flour, brown sugar, oatmeal baking soda and salt. Stir in melted butter to combine all ingredients and press into a 13X9 baking dish.
Press the streusel in firmly, then you’re going to partially bake it (12 minutes or so) so it’s solid enough to support the next few layers of chocolate chips, nuts and caramel.
Sprinkle on a layer of high quality chocolate chips first ( I always recommend Ghiradelli or Guittard if you can get your hands on them), then nuts, then slather with store bought caramel ice cream sauce thickened with a bit of flour. The flour helps the caramel to puff up a bit while baking instead of turning into rock candy. Pop the Caramel Chocolate Oatmeal Chewies back into the oven for a few more minutes to melt the upper layers and solidify the bottom layer a bit more. All done!
Don’t hold back on that caramel, if you have some left I’d drizzle more onto individually cut bars, you can’t go wrong with more caramel :0) I hope you enjoy these and please leave me a comment with your thoughts on this recipe! If you adore caramel, be sure to check out my recipe for Easy Microwave Caramel. It’s pure caramel bliss without having to slave over a hot stove.
Caramel Chocolate Oatmeal Chewies
Yield 12 bars
Moist oatmeal streusel covered in chocolate chips and drenched in caramel, these Caramel Chocolate Oatmeal Chewies are quick to throw together and are always a big hit at cookie exchanges, in school lunches and on picnics.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 14 ounce bag of Ghiradelli or Guittard semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Set your oven to heat to 350 degrees. Spray or grease a 13X9 inch baking dish.
- Combine oats, 1 cup of flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until no large clumps remain. Stir in the melted butter and press the mixture into the bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips and nuts over the crust. Mix the caramel topping and flour until no white streaks remain. Drizzle caramel mixture over the bars, keeping away from the edges.
- Bake the bars for 20 minutes more. Remove and cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.
Free ebook for all Subscribers!
What will you stuff in your sopapillas? Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Sopapilla Fiesta! today with six recipe combinations of stuffings and chili sauces. Bonus dessert recipe included!