Welcome Autumn with a batch of yummy Microwave Caramel Popcorn today!
Welcome to the 21st century when we get to make life’s best treats, like Microwave Caramel Popcorn, in just minutes. Got a hankerin’ for caramel corn? Maybe you’re like me and you’re a bit picky when it comes to the buttery fluffy stuff. Personally I like my caramel corn soft and a bit chewy. If you make it fresh at home you can make it exactly how you like it with my Microwave Caramel Popcorn Recipe, either Cracker Jack crunchy or ooey gooey for popcorn balls; and the only difference is if you decide to bake it in the oven or not :0)
How to make Microwave Caramel Popcorn
Making my Microwave Caramel is the key to this fast recipe.
- First, you’ll need lots of freshly popped plain popcorn. You can also make this in the microwave if you wish. My microwave has a habit of burning the popcorn (alright it’s my habit, I just blame it on the microwave); I can make the whole big batch at once using 1/2 cup store bought popcorn kernels, two tablespoons of vegetable oil and my 8 quart stockpot set over medium heat. I just add in the kernels and oil, stir to coat and cover with a lid.
2. As the popcorn starts popping, shake the stock pot around a bit every couple minutes so the popcorn on the bottom cant’ burn. It’s really quite fun and Just as fast as cooking a bunch of individual bags of popcorn in the microwave anyway. The microwave shines when it comes to making the caramel. Just place butter, brown sugar, karo syrup and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl, stir, and pop it in. Cook it for about 7 minutes, then stir in some vanilla and baking soda and it’s ready to be poured out over your fresh popcorn!
If you’d like to ‘set’ the caramel so it’s not as sticky and a bit more hardened, set your oven to 250 degrees F. Transfer your Microwave Caramel Popcorn to a large roasting pan sprayed with cooking spray, or two disposable roasting pans (also sprayed with cooking spray) and pop them in the oven. Stir the popcorn around every 15 minutes or so for about an hour, or to your preference. Let it cool then serve.
What will you do with your Microwave Caramel Popcorn? Make popcorn balls for Halloween treats, parties or school snacks? OR maybe sit down in front of your favorite show (or while watching General Conference with the kiddos) and chow down? Whatever you have planned, have fun and enjoy your amazing Microwave Caramel Popcorn!
Microwave Caramel Popcorn
Yield 28 1 cup servings
Fluffy popcorn smothered in buttery caramel the quickest easiest way- in the microwave! No more hassle with stove top or oven cooking, this recipe gets you delicious caramel corn asap.
- 7 quarts of plain popped popcorn
- 1 batch of Easy Microwave Caramel
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- cooking spray
- parchment paper or other non stick paper
- Spray the inside of a large stockpot (at least 8 quart) with cooking spray. Fill with popped popcorn.
- Make Easy Microwave Caramel through step 2 of the recipe. Remove from the microwave and remove the plastic wrap (be careful of steam burns!) from the top. Stir in vanilla and baking soda.
- Pour over popcorn and stir with a large wooden spoon until fully coated. Turn out onto parchment paper to cool. Form into popcorn balls or break apart for snacking.
If a crunchier version is desired (like cracker jacks), set your oven to heat to 250 degrees F. Spray a large metal roasting pan or two disposable aluminum roasting pans with cooking spray. Fill roasting pans with freshly made caramel corn and bake in the oven for about an hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove, cool for at least one hour and serve.
Free ebook for all Subscribers!
What will you stuff in your sopapillas? Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Sopapilla Fiesta! today with six recipe combinations of stuffings and chili sauces. Bonus dessert recipe included!