This deliciously creamy best mashed potatoes recipe is fantastic because of one secret ingredient you probably already have in your fridge (hint: it rhymes with “dream breeze”). Everyone will love these taters!
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2/3 cup half and half + more to taste
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- Fill a stockpot or stovetop dutch oven half full of water. Peel and chop potatoes to 1 inch chunks. Place chopped potato into prepared water. Once all potatoes are in the water, either add or remove water so the potatoes are covered with 1 inch of water over the topmost potatoes.
- Set the potatoes to high heat. Once a rolling boil is reached, turn the heat to medium high and scoop excess foam off the top with a large spoon and discard while the potatoes boil.
- Boil the potatoes until they fall apart when pierced with a fork- about 12-14 minutes. Drain and place into a large mixing bowl or stand mixer.
- Add butter, half and half and cream cheese to a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup and cook on 1/2 power for 1 minute or until the butter is melted. Pour the hot liquids into the potatoes and beat until smooth, adding a little more half and half if looser potatoes are desired. Beat for about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl if necessary, until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Taste and add a pinch or two of salt if desired. Serve warm.
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: American