Next time you get a craving for cookies and milk, try Homemade Oreo Cookies
These soft and chewy Homemade Oreo Cookies always bring smiles wherever they go. So the next time you get a hankerin’ for dunkin’ cookies in milk, treat everybody (not to mention yourself!) to these adorable homemade chocolate sandwich cookies. Let’s take a look at how easy these really are to make!
How to make Homemade Oreo Cookies
Homemade Oreo Cookies start with a very basic simple chocolate cookie dough that’s baked for just 8 minutes per batch. You’ll start by creaming butter, brown and white sugars, an egg and some vanilla until smooth.
Next you’ll beat in the dry ingredients which include all-purpose flour, high-quality cocoa powder, baking soda and powder and a pinch of salt. I always recommend using a high quality cocoa in your baking, such as Hershey’s dark cocoa, Guittard rouge cocoa, Callebaut Baking Cocoa or any cocoa you can find that is dutch processed. This is the type of cocoa used in Oreo cookies and it really makes a huge difference in your baking, it’s so delicious!
Form cute little dough balls about an inch in diameter and place on a non-stick cookie sheet, or line a regular baking sheet with parchment paper so the cookies won’t stick when baked. Pop them in the oven for just 8 minutes and pull them out to cool.
While your little homemade oreo cookies bake in the oven, cream together butter, shortening, a little cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar for that delicious oreo cookie filling! Spread it onto the bottom of a cooled cookie and press another cookie on top. Take a bite-you’ve got to enjoy the fruits of your labors after all!
I just happened to have my OXO Cookie Press out and decided to use one of the disks as a ‘stencil’ to give my Homemade Oreo Cookies a little bit of holiday magic. This is totally optional; it happens to be Christmas time and I’ll be baking up more Homemade Oreo Cookies to give a way to friends and family on goodie plates.
Seriously, everyone you share these with will be delighted to try a real Homemade Oreo Cookie! They’re always best when made with love :0) Enjoy and please PLEASE leave me a comment below and RATE the recipe to help other readers. Thanks!
Homemade Oreo Cookies
Yield 20 Sandwich cookies
Homemade chocolate sandwich cookies are rustic, delicious, and so much better than store bought; especially when they're made with love. Pour yourself a tall drink of milk to dunk these classic cookies!
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup high quality cocoa powder (I like Guittard or Hershey Dark)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed medium brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 ounce softened cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Set your oven to heat to 350 degrees F and move an oven rack to the middle position. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
- Whip butter on high until creamy, (about a minute) then whip in the sugars, egg and vanilla until fully combined. Slowly beat in the dry ingredients into the butter/sugar mixture, scraping the sides and bottom to ensure the dough is mixed thoroughly. It will be a bit clumpy.
- Roll small balls of dough about an inch in size and place on a non-stick cookie sheet (or on parchment paper placed on a regular baking sheet) and bake for 8 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Repeat with remaining dough.
- While cookies are baking, whip up the filling by beating the butter, shortening, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar. Spread a little filling onto the bottom half of cookies with a knife and press another cookie on top. Dust with powdered sugar if desired and serve with milk.
Serving Size 2 cookies
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 19 g
Saturated Fat 11.6 g
Cholesterol 53 mg
Sodium 143 mg
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
Sugars 35.8 g
Protein 2.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Free ebook for all Subscribers!
What will you stuff in your sopapillas? Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Sopapilla Fiesta! today with six recipe combinations of stuffings and chili sauces. Bonus dessert recipe included!