Homemade sweet potato tater tots are super packed nutrition bombs.
These adorable and fun sweet potato tater tots make a healthy alternative to regular good ol’ tots your kids get on their lunchroom trays every day. Their fun to make, so get your kids involved; they’ll really enjoy making and eating these cuties! My son Aidan sprouted a sweet potato for a cub scout merit badge this summer. We decided to plant it and see if we could grow our very own crop of orange taters, and sure enough- all the potatoes I used for this blog post were grown right in our own backyard! Way to go Aidan!
How to make homemade sweet potato tots
Making homemade sweet potato tots is really easy. First, peel and chop them into a few big chunks. Cover them with water and par boil them (that means half-way cook them) for about 10 minutes.
Next, you’ll grate the softened spuds with a box grater or with a fancy food processor like mine that has a grating disk attachment. I am still loving my cuisinart multi-tool food processor!
Move the shredded potatoes to a mixing bowl and add some salt and spices. Mix them in really well with a wooden spoon.
The potato naturally sticks together, so all you have to do is grab a little bunch with your fingers and shape it into a tot and it will hold it’s shape! Fill a rimmed baking sheet with the little cuties and pop them in a 400 degree F oven.
Bake them for 30 minutes, stirring/flipping ever 10, until they become very dark brown in spots. Remove from oven and sprinkle with additional sea salt and minced rosemary if desired.
Delicious cute little packets of nutrition, homemade Sweet Potato Tots are a fun way to get your kids involved in eating healthy. (Plus grown ups love them too!)
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2 inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, minced
- additional sea salt
- Prepare a rimmed baking sheet by lining it with foil and spraying it generously with cooking spray. Set baking sheet aside. Place potato chunks in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn the heat to medium high and boil for 10 minutes. Drain water.
- Set your oven to heat to 400 degrees F. Finely grate potato chunks with a box grater or a food processor. Place grated sweet potato in a large bowl and add the cinnamon, sugar, salt and mustard powder. Stir thoroughly. Roll and shape 1 inch tater tots by hand and place them on the prepared baking sheet (this is a great time to ask for little helpers to come over) with a little space between each one. When baking sheet is full, place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring/flipping every 10 minutes. Remove and cool. Repeat with any remaining grated sweet potato.
- Sprinkle freshly baked tots with sea salt and minced rosemary. Serve warm.
Free ebook for all Subscribers!
What will you stuff in your sopapillas? Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Sopapilla Fiesta! today with six recipe combinations of stuffings and chili sauces. Bonus dessert recipe included!