This Creamy Chicken Biscuit Bake is the epitome of easy cheesy, weeknight dinner comfort food.
Country comfort food at it’s best, this Creamy Chicken Biscuit Bake recipe is surprisingly quick and easy to throw together for a hearty weeknight meal for your family, or even a Sunday dinner for guests. You probably have most of the ingredients to make this already, except for one; a jar of chopped pimento peppers, but these could easily be swapped for roasted red pepper (that you would need to chop) or even roasted green chile (which I will definitely be making next time, I have a great batch of chile this year). Emphasis on roasted, I wouldn’t recommend freshly chopped peppers in this recipe.
Make ahead dinners are the way to go these days, with all the craziness of the holidays and just life in general with kids and all their goings on. I recently purchased a large bag of frozen chicken breasts from Sam’s Club, and decided to just cook it all up at once, shred it, and freeze it for later use. I have LOVED this kitchen hack, because I can throw together so many recipes in no time, like Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, White Chicken Chili, and now Creamy Chicken Biscuit Bake without having cook chicken every time!
The base of this recipe is simple, just shredded pre-cooked chicken mixed with a can of cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, cooked onion and pimento peppers. Bake this mixture for 15 minutes to warm it up, then top it off with shredded cheddar cheese, biscuit dough, and a little more cheese on top of the biscuits. Pop it back into the oven for about 20 more minutes until the biscuits are lovely golden brown on top.
Scoop out a biscuit and the creamy chicken underneath for a hearty serving of home grown country food. Serve it with some steamed veggies and a salad for a great meal!
I hope you enjoy this recipe, and please rate and review it to be helpful for other readers. Thanks!
Creamy Chicken Biscuit Bake
Yield 8 servings
You'll love making Creamy Chicken Biscuit Bake because it's such an easy weeknight dinner your family! Enjoy it in as little as 40 minutes from start to finish when you already have cooked shredded chicken on hand.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 large onion, or one small onion, chopped small
- pinch of salt
- 1 and 1/2 pounds cooked shredded chicken (about 4 cups)
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 and 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 (4 ounce) jar of chopped pimiento peppers
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package of 8 refrigerator biscuits
- Set your oven to heat to 350 degrees F and spray the inside of a 9 X 13 inch casserole dish.
- Melt the butter in a skillet set over medium high heat, then add the onion an sprink a pinch of salt over the top. Stir and cook until the edges begin to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- While the onion is cooking, combine the shredded chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk and pimiento peppers in a mixing bowl. When the onion is done cooking, add it in and stir all together. Press mixture evenly into prepared casserole dish, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of cheese over the top of the chicken mixture, then place biscuit dough over the top in a single layer. Sprinkle the tops of the biscuits with the remaining cheddar cheese. Place back into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes more, or until the tops of the biscuits are golden brown. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes then serve.
Chopped roasted red pepper, or chopped roasted green chile can be substituted for the jar of pimiento peppers if desired.
Serving Size 1 biscuit & creamy chicken underneath
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 27.5 g
Saturated Fat 13.4 g
Cholesterol 105 mg
Sodium 1214 mg
Total Carbohydrates 31.8 g
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 35.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.