In case you’ve never heard of Avocado Toast with Poached Eggs, it’s taking the rising generation by storm in their efforts to be health conscious and avoid processed foods for breakfast. It also happens to be absolutely delicious!
- 1 small ripe avocado, sliced in half, pit removed,
- 2 large eggs
- 2 pieces of whole grain/whole wheat bread
- salt and pepper
- butter (optional)
- Fill a small skillet (stainless or nonstick) with water an inch deep and set it over medium high heat. Slice avocado into thin slices, and crack eggs into a small dish while the water heats. When water is just to a simmer, swirl it around with a spoon and drop the eggs into the moving water. Turn the heat down to medium and set the timer for 3 minutes. Gently slosh hot water over the yolks while the eggs cook.
- Toast bread to your preference while the eggs cook. Set onto two plates, (I like to spread a little butter on here; totally optional) then spread half the avocado slices onto each.
- When the eggs have cooked for 3 minutes, turn the heat off. Remove each egg with a slotted spoon and let excess water drip out. Place each egg on top of avocado toast. Sprinkle toast with a generous pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.
Avocado Toast with Poached Eggs is delicious on it’s own, but salsa, bacon bits, cheese, even hot sauce are all excellent garnishes.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 piece of toast
- Calories: 311
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 278 mg
- Fat: 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.8 g
- Fiber: 7.7 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 186 mg