This simple and delicious Cheesy Cauliflower Broccoli Bake makes a great side for any chicken, beef or pork entree.
Are you looking for ways to eat more vegetables, but tired of serving up canned corn or peas to your family every night? (Not that it’s a bad thing, I do it all the time too…) Make a Cheesy Cauliflower Broccoli Bake to shake things up a bit- after all, cheese makes everything better, right?!
You can throw this dish together and let it bake while you concentrate on cooking the protein of the meal (usually a meat entree). A Cheesy Cauliflower Broccoli Bake makes the perfect companion side dish to any grilled meats, meatloaf, fried chicken, etc.
How to make Cheesy Cauliflower Broccoli Bake
You’re going to create a delicious cheesy sauce for your veggies by first cooking some diced onion in butter until soft and translucent.
Then sprinkle some flower over and mix it in.
Next mix in some milk to form a thick white sauce.
Then it’s time to melt in some Velveeta cheese (or generic brand, it’s all good) that you have chopped into cubes so it will melt into the sauce faster.
Once the cheese cubes are completely melted, whisk in three slightly beaten eggs.
Then add your broccoli and cauliflower florets and toss in the sauce.
Transfer to a casserole dish and bake for about 55 minutes. I like to sprinkle a bit of fresh rosemary or thyme over the finished dish, but this is optional :0)
A very simple, yet delicious side dish, Cheesy Cauliflower Broccoli Bake will help you get in your daily serving of veggies. Enjoy, and please rate and review the recipe below for other readers. Thanks!Print
This simple and delicious Cheesy Cauliflower Broccoli Bake makes a great side for any chicken, beef or pork entree and helps you get your full daily serving of vegetables.
- 1 (12oz) package frozen cauliflower
- 1 (12oz) package frozen broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 8 ounces processed cheese block, cubed
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced rosemary or thyme to garnish (optional)
- Set oven to heat to 325 degrees F. Place both bags of frozen cauliflower and broccoli in the microwave and defrost.
- While the vegetables are defrosting, place a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Once heated, add butter to melt. Add minced onion and stir to coat. Sprinkle onion with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and stir to combine, then gently whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Turn the heat to low and stir in cubes of cheese with a large spoon until melted and smooth.
- Whisk eggs into cheesy sauce until completely combined, then stir in thawed veggies, a pinch more salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared casserole dish and bake uncovered for 55 minutes. Remove, let cool for 10 minutes, and garnish with minced fresh rosemary, or thyme.
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 154
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 516 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.1 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 8.5 g
- Cholesterol: 91 mg
Free ebook for all Subscribers!
What will you stuff in your sopapillas? Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Sopapilla Fiesta! today with six recipe combinations of stuffings and chili sauces. Bonus dessert recipe included!