One taste of these Copycat Hostess Creme-Filled Cupcakes and you’ll be in chocolate cupcake heaven. Without a doubt, these homemade versions are ten times as delicious as anything purchased from a supermarket, and they’re a sure hit at your next backyard barbecue or game day party.
- 1 box of Devil’s Food chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into individual tablespoons, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 (7 oz.) jars of marshmallow creme
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Move oven racks to the upper and lower middle positions. Set your oven to 350 degrees F and prepare two muffin tins by spraying generously with cooking spray.
- Mix up the cake batter according to package directions. Fill muffin cups 1/2 full with batter. Place in the oven and bake according to directions, rotating top to bottom and front to back half way through. Dump freshly baked cupcakes out and set them upright to cool.
- Prepare filling by mixing water and gelatin and letting in a microwave safe bowl. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes, then microwave for about 45 seconds until bubbly. Whisk in butter and vanilla until smooth. Let cool 10 minutes and whisk in marshmallow creme. Cover and chill for 40 minutes to set.
- While filling chills in the fridge, prepare frosting by combining chocolate chips and unsalted butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 1/2 power for about 2 minutes, or until mixture is smooth when melted. Set aside.
- Fill cooled cupcakes by cutting down from the tops with a sharp knife just inside the edges to form a cone shape. Remove ‘cake cone’ and cut off pointy end. Replace the top so it doesn’t get mixed up with another cupcake. OR, if you have a pastry filling tip, skip step one.
- Fill pastry bag with 3/4 the filling. Fill each cupcake with approximately 2 tablespoons of creme, replacing the tops if necessary.
- Drizzle chocolate frosting over each cupcake and smooth over the cut seams. Change pastry tip to small circle, and using filling, pipe on the signature white swirls over the top. The cupcake can be eaten right away (very tempting) but can also be placed in the fridge, uncovered for about 30 minutes to set the chocolate frosting for easier storage. If covering cupcakes with plastic wrap, be sure to spray the underside of it with cooking spray or the while swirls will stick.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 12.1 g
- Sodium: 71 mg
- Fat: 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.7 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 38 mg