These absolutely delicious (and meatless) Black Bean Sweet Potato Enchiladas are full of healthy ingredients that really pack in the flavor. Great as a make ahead freezer meal too!
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (4 oz. can) diced green chiles (mild or hot, your preference)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (15 oz) can enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas, steamed and still warm
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Set oven to heat to 350 degrees F. Place a skillet over medium high heat. Place chopped sweet potato in a microwave safe bowl, cover and microwave on full power for 4 minutes, stopping half way through to stir.
- When the potatoes are done softening, add vegetable oil, chopped onion and potatoes to the skillet. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until onions and potatoes begin to brown, about 4-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and empty into a large mixing bowl. Smash sweet potato with a fork or potato masher. Stir in the green chiles, black beans, corn, paprika, garlic powder and ground cumin. Set filling bowl aside.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray, and spread about 1/3 cup enchilada sauce over the bottom. Place a spoonful of filling down the center of each tortilla, sprinkle filling with cheese, then roll and place into the dish into rows. When the casserole dish is filled, pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tops of the tortillas, and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove and serve with garnishes such as sour cream, cilantro, lettuce etc.
To soften tortilla without cooking them individually in hot oil, wrap a wet towel around the stack, then wrap the towel with plastic wrap and microwave for about 45 seconds. Keep the tortillas covered with the wet towel as you work to fill them, and they should be flexible without any cracking.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican American
- Serving Size: 2 Enchiladas
- Calories: 378
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 501 mg
- Fat: 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.6 g
- Fiber: 7.9 g
- Protein: 15.4 g
- Cholesterol: 70 mg