Looking for a 30 minute, fast, delicious weeknight meal your whole family will love? This recipe for Chicken and Wild Rice Soup checks every box!
I love it when a few simple ingredients come together to make something wonderful, especially when you crave comfort food to give your spirit a big hug. That’s why I’m so excited to share this recipe for Chicken and Wild Rice soup with you.
I received a copy of this recipe from my friend Shannon after trying it at a church function a couple weeks ago. I streamlined it a bit- I wanted to share a one pot, 30 minute version with you that had all the delicious taste of the original recipe. It was easy thanks to a store bought rotisserie chicken :0)
Diced onion and celery are cooked in butter (kinda a lot of butter, but hey, this is comfort food) to soften. Then sprinkle some all-purpose flour over the butter and veggies and stir it around a bit to cook the flour-y taste out. Chicken broth, heavy cream and diced carrots are added with a pinch of salt and brought to a boil to cook the carrots. Then simply stir in your shredded rotisserie chicken meat and cooked wild rice and it’s done!
The soup is lightly seasoned by the wild rice, which is cooked and flavored with a seasoning packet (Thank you Uncle Ben’s quick cooking wild rice!) which keeps this soup simple and easy to throw together.
I always recommend keeping your pantry stocked with chicken bullion cubes or powder so anytime you want to make soup, you have instant chicken broth available.
This soup is absolutely delicious and is perfect for getting you through chilly nights or any time you need a little extra comfort in your menu :0) Share your comments on this recipe below, and please rate the recipe- Thx!
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Yield 10 Servings
This 30 minute, one pot chicken and rice soup is an outstanding recipe for a quick weeknight comfort food meal.
- 1 box uncle ben's fast cook wild rice (orange box)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery diced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 and 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the rice according to the package directions on the stovetop, continuing with the recipe while rice cooks.
2. In a large dutch oven or stockpot, melt butter and saute onion and celery over medium heat until soft, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir around for 1 minute. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, carrots, and heavy whipping cream. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium low stirring often. Simmer the soup covered for about 10 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
3. Remove lid and stir in the chicken, cooked rice, and salt and pepper to taste. Replace lid and let soup heat up chicken and rice for about 5 minutes. Serve.
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 20.1 g
Saturated Fat 11.9 g
Cholesterol 79 mg
Sodium 788 mg
Total Carbohydrates 23.8 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 3.7 g
Protein 14.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Free ebook for all Subscribers!
What will you stuff in your sopapillas? Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Sopapilla Fiesta! today with six recipe combinations of stuffings and chili sauces. Bonus dessert recipe included!