Taste the tropics with a slice of Orange Spice Banana Bread
With spring and Easter right around the corner, a lot of folks are getting the itch to bake it up in the kitchen; this recipe Orange Spice Banana Bread is one you definitely want to create at home, and I’m happy to tell you why!
Making Orange Spice Banana bread follows the classic quick bread method of mixing wet and dry ingredients separately before mixing them together to form the batter. Be careful not to over-mix, or your bread won’t rise up or be as fluffy as it could be.
I love this amazing tasting Orange Spice Banana Bread because it elevates regular banana bread by incorporating additional tropical flavor hints that enhance, not overpower, simple banana bread. After all, bananas are a tropical fruit as well, so the flavor combinations in this bread are outstanding!
Then the batter is gently baked in a 350 degree oven for almost an hour to ensure that the crust doesn’t burn, but the interior is properly cooked without loosing too much moisture.
While the bread is cooling, mix together a simple glaze of powdered sugar and freshly squeezed orange juice. I love the glaze because it gives this bread a dessert-y/snack type bread that is just sooo delicious! This bread would be so lovely for a spring picnic, book club, tea time, or as a gift to celebrate the coming of spring!
I love this bread and I know you will too- so bake it up and leave me a comment below- and don’t forget to rate the recipe!
Orange Spice Banana Bread
Yield 1 loaf
Take regular banana bread to the next level by artfully adding a few more hints of tropical taste with oranges and spices, finished off with a lovely light orange glaze.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Move an oven rack to middle position and set your oven to heat to 350 degrees F. Prep a 9X4 bread pan by either spraying generously with non-stick spray, or coating with crisco and dusting with flour.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of orange zest, sugar, mashed banana, melted butter, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla.
- Gently stir the contents of the second mixing bowl (wet ingredients) into the first mixing bowl (dry ingredients) with a wooden spoon just until no more white streaks of flour remain. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer in the center comes out clean. Dump out loaf and cool on a wire rack.
- While loaf is cooling, mix 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice with powdered sugar. When loaf has cooled for 30 minutes, drizzle glaze over loaf, slice and serve.
Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8.3 g
Saturated Fat 4.8 g
Cholesterol 56 mg
Sodium 280 mg
Total Carbohydrates 47.7 g
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
Sugars 24 g
Protein 4.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Free ebook for all Subscribers!
What will you stuff in your sopapillas? Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Sopapilla Fiesta! today with six recipe combinations of stuffings and chili sauces. Bonus dessert recipe included!