This recipe for Whole Roasted Chicken and Sweet potatoes produces flavorful juicy meat with crispy skin, while seasoned sweet potatoes roast underneath to soak up the chicken drippings. Absolutely delicious- one of the best ‘meat and potatoes’ recipes out there!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 medium lemon, zested then sliced into wedges
- salt and pepper
- 1 4-5 pound whole chicken (any giblets removed and discarded)
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled, ends sliced off and the remaining sliced into 1 inch thick slices
- Set your oven to heat to 400 degrees F and move an oven rack to the lower middle position.
- Mix together 2 tablespoons oil, thyme, paprika, lemon zest, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small container. Prepare chicken by blotting it dry with paper towels and separating the skin from the breast and legs by hand.
- Rub oil/seasoning mixture both underneath skin and on top of skin all over chicken breast, legs and wings. (Don’t worry about the ‘back’ of the chicken’). Tie the drumsticks together with kitchen twine and fold and tuck the tips of the wings underneath the breast. Stuff a couple lemon wedges inside the chicken. Set chicken aside to sit at room temp while you prepare the potatoes.
- Thoroughly coat the potato rounds with 1 tablespoon oil, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a mixing bowl. Place in a single layer on the bottom of an oven safe skillet (or roasting pan/pot) and cook over medium heat on the stove for about 7 minutes, or until the bottoms are browned and blackened in small spots. Do not flip, only cook one side.
- Place your prepared chicken over the potatoes and place in the oven, uncovered. Roast until interior breast meat reaches 160 degrees F, between 1, to 1 and 1/2 hours. Remove from oven, cover with foil and let rest for about 20 minutes. Carve and serve with leftover lemon wedges.
Nutrition facts are calculated for chicken meat only and do not include skin.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3 ounces chicken, one potato round
- Calories: 275
- Sodium: 806 mg
- Fat: 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.3 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 25.1 g
- Cholesterol: 72 mg