This rustic and delicious gluten-free Swiss Potato Soup really hits the spot after a long day.
- 7 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- fresh chopped rosemary or sliced scallions to garnish (optional)
- Cook chopped bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crispy. Remove and set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add onion and cook in bacon drippings, stirring often, until translucent and browned. Add broth, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer the soup uncovered for about 10 minutes and potatoes are fork-tender.
- Whisk the cornstarch and cold milk together, then whisk the milk into the soup. Turn the heat back up to get a rolling boil, and boil for 1-2 minutes. The soup should be thick and bubbly.
- Remove the soup from heat and stir in the cheese. Ladle into individual serving bowls and top with bacon. Sprinkle with rosemary or scallions if desired. Serve.