The real trick to perfect-peel eggs every time doesn’t require anything other than eggs, boiling water, and a steamer basket!
- Large pot with a lid
- metal steamer basket with handle
- 4–6 large eggs
- Fill a pot with 1 and 1/2 inches of water and set it over medium-high heat.
- When the water comes to a full boil, place eggs into a steamer basket (with legs folded out) and carefully lower the basket into the pot. Ensure the bottom of the steamer basket is not touching the surface of the water.
- Cover tightly with a lid and set a timer for the desired doneness, 10 minutes for a very soft yolk, 12 minutes for soft yolks, and 14 minutes for hard yolks.
- When the eggs are done steaming, carefully remove the lid and using tongs, remove the eggs and place into a bowl of ice water to cool for 10 minutes.
- Beginning at the rounder end, crack eggs by gently tapping all over and rolling with a gentle hand on a hard surface. Peel the shells off and store the eggs in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Do not overcrowd the steamer basket with too many eggs, or the cooking times listed above will not work. Ensure that all eggs are in a single layer on the bottom of the basket.