Bacon and Parmesan cheese enhance the delicious flavors of butternut squash in this Winter Squash Pasta Sauce recipe. Help support The Goldilocks Kitchen and rate this recipe by clicking on a RATING STAR in the comments below. Thank you!
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 pound of your choice of pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup packed parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup plain Greek Yogurt or sour cream
- salt and pepper
- Set an oven rack to the middle position and heat to 350 degrees F. Using a sharp knife, slice the squash in half lengthwise (from stem to bottom). Scoop out the pulp and seeds. Place squash halves flat side down in a casserole dish filled with just enough water to cover the bottom. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the flesh is soft and easily pierced with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a paper towel-lined bowl. Add the shallot to the hot bacon grease and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook until soft and translucent and just starting to brown.
- Place cooked shallots in a blender, along with the Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon of salt, ground nutmeg and 1 cup of warm water. Scrape out the flesh of the squash and discard the skins. Add squash to blender and blend until smooth. Sauce should be thin enough to run off a spoon in a continuous drizzle. If it’s too thick, blend in more water.
- Set a separate large pot of water to boil over high heat to cook your pasta. Pour the squash pasta sauce into a medium pot set over low heat. Stir in the yogurt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Keep sauce warm while your pasta cooks. Stir sauce into drained pasta and serve, passing the bacon around to sprinkle on top.
For a vegetarian version, leave out the bacon, use vegetable stock and cook the shallots in olive oil.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- Calories: 343
- Sugar: 4.4
- Sodium: 520
- Fat: 8.5
- Saturated Fat: 3.6
- Carbohydrates: 41.3
- Fiber: 0.7
- Protein: 24.8
- Cholesterol: 67
Keywords: butternut squash, pasta, sauce