Fire-roasted Hatch Green chile is the star of this cheeseburger soup recipe! Crisp bacon, ground beef, onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, and silky cheddar cheese round out the flavors of this New Mexico classic cheeseburger- now in a hearty soup.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 5 slices of bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- dash of liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 and 1/2 cups chicken broth or prepared bullion cubes
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 medium-size russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup of thawed The Hatch Chile Store fire-roasted chopped green chile (or more to taste)
- 1 and 1/2 cups freshly-grated cheddar cheese
- optional garnishes of minced fresh parsley or minced chives
- Brown ground beef in a large stove-top Dutch oven (or a 4-quart stockpot) over medium-high heat until no pink spots remain, about 5-7 minutes. Turn the heat off. Using a slotted spoon, remove beef and place into a clean bowl. Drain beef fat or soak it up with paper towels.
- Return the pot to medium heat and add the bacon. Stir and cook until the bacon is crispy, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined bowl or plate. Drain excess bacon grease, leaving about two tablespoons of bacon grease in the pot.
- Place onion, carrot, celery, Worchestershire sauce, and a dash of liquid smoke into the pot and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring up the browned bits of bacon from the bottom until the onion is soft and brown, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, then sprinkle in the flour and stir for about a minute.
- Slowly stir in the chicken broth, milk, and potatoes, scraping any browned bits off the bottom. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Cover with the lid slightly ajar and gently simmer on medium-low for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove the lid and stir in the ground beef, The Hatch Chile Store Roasted Chopped Green Chile, and cheddar cheese until melted and smooth. Serve, sprinkling individual bowls with bacon and optional fresh herbs.
This Hatch Green Chile Cheeseburger soup can also be made in a crockpot. Brown beef and bacon separately, then place all ingredients except cheese, beef, and bacon into the crockpot. Cook on low until potatoes are soft, then stir these last three ingredients in after cooking and serve.
I recommend freshly grated cheese from a block in this soup because it will melt much better than pre-packaged shredded cheese from the grocery store. Velveeta cheese can be substituted (12 ounces) if you wish but I found through recipe testing that the ‘Velveeta’ taste overpowers the other wonderful flavors in this soup.
Soup keeps well in the refrigerator for three days.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Southwestern American
- Serving Size: about 1 cup
- Calories: 308
- Sugar: 5.5
- Sodium: 717
- Fat: 15.6
- Saturated Fat: 7.7
- Carbohydrates: 18.1
- Fiber: 2.2
- Protein: 23.5
- Cholesterol: 66
Keywords: Hatch Green Chile, Cheeseburger, Comfort food, soup