Steak rubbed with Green Chile and herbs is grilled alongside sweet corn on the cob drizzled with lime juice and olive oil. After grilling to perfection the steak and corn are served with beans, avocado and tomato tossed in a light dressing and each serving is drizzled with a cool, creamy pinon-cilantro-lime sauce.
Steak and salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 corn cobs, shucked and silk removed
- 1 (13.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6.5 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1 pound beef steaks (Sirloin, Rib Eye or Strip)
- 2 teaspoons Hatch Green Chile Powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
Pinon-Cilantro-Lime Cream Dressing/Sauce
- 1/4 cup piñon (pine) nuts
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup crema Mexicana
- 1/3 cup milk
- Set your indoor or outdoor grill to heat to medium high (about 375°F). Begin with the steak and salad by stirring together the olive oil and lime juice. Brush each corn cob with some of the oil-juice mixture. Sprinkle corn cobs lightly with salt, then wrap individually in sheets of foil. Set Aside.
- Place beans, tomato and avocado in a bowl. Toss with most of the remaining oil-juice mixture, leaving about 1-2 teaspoons for the steak. Set the vegetables aside.
- Prepare the steak by blotting with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Stir together the Hatch Green chile Powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Brush the remaining oil-juice mixture onto both sides of the steak, then rub the spice mixture all over both sides of the steak.
- When your grill is ready, place corn cobs on the grill and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until corn is slightly charred in a few spots. Remove and allow it to cool enough to handle. Cut kernels off the corn, mix into the bean mixture, and dispose of cobs.
- While corn is grilling, make piñon-cilantro-lime sauce by placing piñon nuts, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, lime juice, and crema Mexicana, in a blender. Blend until smooth and homogenous, adding milk to thin as necessary to your desired consistency. Set in the fridge to chill.
- Grill steak for about 3-5 minutes per side, depending on your preferred doneness. Remove and rest, covering with foil, for about 5 minutes. Slice thinly.
- To assemble: spoon vegetable mixture onto individual serving plates (over a couple of corn tortillas if you like, this is optional). Then top each with some steak slices, a drizzle of piñon-cilantro-lime sauce, and garnish with fresh sprigs of cilantro and serve.
I had difficulty making this sauce in a large food processor. I found that my powerful blender worked much better at chopping the thin cilantro and making a homogenous creamy green sauce to drizzle over this steak salad. It may come together just fine if you have a small-sized food processor and are not able to use a blender.
- Category: lunch or Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: New Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 531
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 356
- Fat: 39.1
- Saturated Fat: 9.1
- Carbohydrates: 31.8
- Fiber: 8.7
- Protein: 18
- Cholesterol: 38
Keywords: Grill, summer, salad, steak, green chile, chile, chili, chili powder, green sauce, cilantro, beef, barbecue, pot luck, avocado, crema mexicana, grilled corn on the cob, corn on the cob, corn, grilled corn