An easy one dish meal that cooks in less than thirty minutes. Mexican Chorizo sausage adds a kick to bell peppers, tomato and eggs poached right in the sauce. Serve with warm bread or flour tortillas.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces Chorizo sausage
- 1 small onion sliced thin
- 2 bell peppers, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch wide strips
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp tabasco sauce (about two or three dashes)
- 6 large eggs
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12 inch skillet on medium high heat and add the sausage. Cook thoroughly, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a bowl for later.
- Add another tablespoon of oil (only if very little fat rendered from the sausage) and add in the onion. Cook until it starts to soften, about 3 minutes. stir in the peppers and cover the skillet. Cook until the peppers are soft and beginning to brown in spots, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium and add the can of tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, cumin and tabasco sauce. Cook for another 2 or 3 minutes, then add in the chorizo sausage.
- Make six little ‘pockets’ for the eggs with a spoon and crack them in. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the eggs are just set, 5 or 6 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mexican