The best banana bread recipe out there swirled with smooth chocolate Nutella is a delicious match made in heaven. The easy technique used in this recipe swirls the Nutella throughout the bread so it will hold its shape when sliced.
- 2 cups flour plus more for dusting pan
- 1 tablespoon of shortening or butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
- wooden skewers
- Grease and flour a 5X9 (standard size) loaf bread pan with shortening or butter, and a dusting of flour. Set aside. Set your oven to heat to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix and mash the bananas with a fork until smooth. Stir in yogurt, eggs, butter and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture just until no white streaks remain. Be careful not to overmix. Pour just enough banana bread batter into the loaf pan to cover the bottom.
- Microwave Nutella for about 10-20 seconds; long enough to make it very warm and thin. Using a wooden spoon, drizzle streaks of Nutella randomly over the batter in the loaf pan, being careful to leave lots batter exposed.
- Pour another layer of batter over the nutella to fully cover it. Drizzle another spoonful of Nutella over that batter in the same manner as before. Cover fully with more batter.
- Repeat layers until no more banana bread batter remains, drizzling the rest of the Nutella on top of the batter, being careful to leave plenty of batter exposed.
- Use a wooden skewer to swirl the Nutella in the batter by holding it at a very shallow angle (as close to horizontal as the loaf pan will allow). Swirl up and down inside the batter from one end of the loaf pan to the other. You don’t want to completely mix in the Nutella, just swirl it around so there aren’t any big clumps of it in the bread.
- Bake the bread in the oven for 55-60 minutes. Remove and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before gently tipping the pan over and allowing the bread to slide out. Cool completely, about 45 minutes, on a cooling rack before slicing and serving.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 441
- Sugar: 36.8 g
- Sodium: 291 mg
- Saturated Fat: 8.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.5 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 6.1 g
- Cholesterol: 51 mg