An extremely tasty and easy way to enjoy roasted Hatch green chile! Whole chiles sliced in half, dipped in egg wash, then breaded in a box mix of crispy corn breading. Fried for just 30 seconds to golden perfection and served with cilantro lime crema dipping sauce. Perfect for game day or an appetizer!
Crispy Hatch Green Chile Strips
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 box of extra crispy seasoned coating mix (by the bread crumb section)
- Vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- 5 whole roasted Hatch chiles (whatever hotness level you prefer), peeled, stems and seeds removed, sliced in half
Cilantro Lime Crema dipping sauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- zest and juice from one lime
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 clove of garlic
- pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients for cilantro lime crema dipping sauce in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Place in the refrigerator and chill while frying up the green chile.
- Pour frying oil into a medium-size frying pan to about 3/4 inch deep. Set over medium heat.
- Place flour in one shallow container, mix egg and milk in another shallow container, and pour the entire box of crispy breading mix into a third shallow container.
- Take each chile strip and dip first in flour, shaking off excess. Then dip in the egg-milk mixture, then press into the crispy coating, covering both sides entirely. Lay flat on a clean plate and repeat.
- When the oil reaches 350 degrees F (or a wooden handle placed in the oil fizzes right away), gently slide a few chile strips into the oil. Fry for about 30 seconds per side, or until golden. Remove and place on a paper-towel lined plate. Repeat until all strips are fried. Serve warm with dipping sauce.
These are so delicious, if you have guests over I would recommend doubling the recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: appetizer
- Method: fry
- Cuisine: New Mexican
- Serving Size: 2 strips
Keywords: Hatch Chile, Hatch Green Chile, Green Chile, Fried chilis, chili peppers, chile peppers, appetizer, game day, deep fried, cilantro, lime, dipping sauce