Roasted, peeled and chopped Hatch green chile is the star of this recipe, along with a blend of rich and smooth REAL cheeses that are deeply flavored with a variety of south-of-the-border spices that meld together into a green chile queso. Enjoy a blast of flavor in every bite!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2–3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 ripe tomato, core removed, outer layer chopped (no seeds)
- 1 heaping cup of roasted and peeled, Hatch green chile, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon green chile powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch of chipotle powder
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional garnishes: sliced olives, additional diced chile and tomatoes, fresh cilantro
- Place a medium-size cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the butter, and when melted and sizzling, add the garlic. Stir garlic around in hot butter for approximately 1 minute.
- Add in the tomato, Hatch green chile, salt, cumin, green chile powder, onion powder, and chipotle powder. Stir and cook for 2 minutes, then pour in the evaporated milk and half and half.
- Stirring constantly, heat the mixture up to almost boiling (it should be putting off a lot of steam). Turn off the heat and immediately stir in the cheese, one handful at a time, until melted and smooth. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
This queso reheats well- place back into skillet and set over low heat, stirring often, and it will become smooth again.