Classic huevos divorciados elevated by the taste of Hatch chile sauce. Two breakfast eggs served your way, one smothered in red chile sauce, the other in green. Red and green sauces are separated by a serving of refried beans, bacon, and/or avocado. Don’t forget the corn tortillas and cheese!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, separated
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup of Hatch green chile sauce
- 1/2 cup of Hatch red chile sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced
- optional garnishes: sliced fresh jalapeno, fresh cilantro, sliced red onion.
This recipe works best when all the ingredients above are prepped and the eggs are cooked last (so they’re nice and hot when you eat them.)
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil. Lightly fry both sides of a corn tortilla and place the tortilla on a plate. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, placing two tortillas on each plate.
- Place two pieces of bacon between the tortillas on each plate. Spread a large spoonful of refried beans over the bacon (or on the side of the plate, your preference).
- Heat the individual chile sauces in the microwave until very warm. Pour red sauce over one tortilla and green sauce over another. Repeat with the other plate.
- Place butter into the skillet and when melted, cook eggs according to your preference. Top each tortilla with an egg. Sprinkle cheese over and any other optional garnishes. Serve.