No store bought pumpkin pie can compare to this recipe for Pumpkin Pie From Scratch. Use my foolproof pie dough and you’ll have a lovely time baking it up too.
- 1 prepared single-crust pie dough
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup drained candied yams from a 15 oz can (can substitute
- regular yams if candied are not available)
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Move an oven rack to the lowest position and set oven to 400 degrees. Place a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet on the lowest rack to heat in the oven.
- Roll one disc of dough out on a lightly floured (about 2 tablespoons) work surface to approximately 12 inches in diameter. The dough should be about 1/8 thick. (If the dough becomes soft and sticky return it to the fridge to firm up again.) Roll the dough around a rolling pin and unroll it over a 9 inch pie plate. There should be at least 1 inch overhanging on all sides. Gently lift the edges and lower the dough down against the sides of the pan.
- Trim the overhanging dough to 1/2 inch overhang, then fold it underneath itself so the edge of the dough is flush with the edge of the pie plate. Flute the edges with your fingers, cover the whole thing with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pie shell from the fridge and poke a few holes around the bottom of the dough using a fork. Line the chilled dough with heavy duty aluminum foil and fold the edges over the crust. Fill the pie plate with weights or pennies and place the pie on the preheated baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes (25 if using my Foolproof Pie Dough recipe). Remove the weights and foil from the pie shell and continue to bake until golden brown and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes more. Remove the pie plate and baking sheet from the oven. Leave the oven on.
- While you’re baking the pie shell, Whisk the cream, milk, eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla together in a mixing bowl. In a large pot, combine the pumpkin puree, yams, sugar, maple syrup, ginger, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer the mixture (more like sputter), mixing constantly and mashing the yams, for about 10 to 15 minutes. It should be thick and shiny.
- Remove the pot from heat and whisk in the egg milk mixture well. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer set over a large mixing bowl, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Pour the strained custard into the warm pie shell. Keeping the rimed baking sheet under the pie, place the pie into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 300 degrees, carefully rotate the baking sheet, and bake for an additional 20 to 35 minutes longer. The edges of the pie should be set, and the middle 2 inches jiggly. The internal temp at the center should reach 175 degrees on an instant read thermometer. Cool the pie on a wire rack for 2 to 3 hours at room temperature. Cut and Serve.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American