A great combination of two popular desserts, caramel flan atop rich chocolate cake. Even more fun that they switch places magically in the oven!
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce or topping
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dutch processed cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 oz cream cheese
- 5 large eggs plus 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Set an oven rack at middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large nonstick Bundt pan well. Heat the caramel topping in the microwave for about 20 to 30 seconds and pour into the bottom of the pan.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. In another large mixing bowl, microwave the chocolate and butter. Mix every twenty to thirty seconds until fully melted and smooth. Whisk in the sugar, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla into the melted chocolate. Then stir in the flour mixture until fully incorporated. Pour over caramel in the bundt pan.
- In a large blender, process all the ingredients for the flan until smooth, about a minute. (If a blender is not available, you can beat the mixture on high for about 3 to 4 minutes until smooth.) Place the Bundt pan in a deep roasting pan and gently pour flan over the cake mixture. Fill the roasting pan with water until it reaches about half-way up the Bundt pan. Place in the oven and bake for 75 to 90 minutes, or when a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the Bundt pan and place it on a cooling rack for 2 hours. Then refrigerate for at least 8 hours to set the flan. When ready to serve, place the bottom half of the pan in a bowl of hot water for about a minute and run a knife gently around the edges (conforming to the shape of the pan) to make sure no cake is sticking to the edge. Place your serving platter over the cake, and holding it firmly, flip the cake over and slowly lift off the Bundt pan. Slice the flan and serve.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern