Italian comfort food at it’s best, this recipe is both quick and very yummy :0)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound vacuum packed gnocchi or homemade
- 1/2 onion minced
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Adjust oven rack to upper middle and set oven to heat to 475 degrees.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet (If you have one that is oven safe, use it.) over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the gnocchi and saute until golden brown and crispy on the outside, transfer to a dish.
- Increase the heat to medium high and add the remaining olive oil and the onion. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown. Stir in garlic and pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds. stir in the crushed tomato and water and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the basil and browned gnocchi to pan. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, until the gnocchi is heated through about 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to an oven safe dish and sprinkle with the mozzarella, or if using an oven safe dish, sprinkle the cheese over the pan, and slide into the oven. Bake the gnocchi for about 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, bubbling and browned in some spots. Serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian