Super delicious soup made with Italian sausage, Kale, potato, chicken broth and cheese. Tastes just like the real deal at the restaurant!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, hot or mild
- 4 oz bacon, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, minced
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium russet potatoes, skins washed
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup packed kale chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup finely shredded Romano cheese for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Crumble sausage (remove casings) and cook, breaking large clumps apart, until sausage is fully cooked and browned. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate or bowl. Remove all but 1 teaspoon fat from the pan.
- Add diced bacon and saute for about 5 minutes. Add onion and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Saute until the bacon is cooked through (not crunchy) and onions are soft, about 5 minutes more.
- While the sausage and bacon cook, slice the potatoes lengthwise, and slice each half lengthwise again. Slice each portion crosswise into thin slices approximately 1/8 inch thick and set aside.
- Add the chicken broth, water, sliced potatoes, sausage, kale, sugar, salt and pepper to the bacon/onion mixture. Bring soup just to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender. Remove excess fat from the surface with a large spoon or ladle. Stir in the half and half. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of cheese over individual servings. Garnish with seasoned croutons if desired and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: Italian