- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 16 tablespoons of butter, sliced into 16 pieces, plus 2 more tablespoons for glazing
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting work surface
- 1 teaspoon rapid-rise yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Whisk together the milk, butter, sugar and eggs in a microwave safe bowl. Place in the microwave and cook for 1 minute. Whisk and cook 30 seconds. Repeat until the mixture reaches about 110 to 115 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. With the dough hook attached and running at low speed, slowly pour the liquids into the flour mixture. A runny, shiny dough will form. Mix on low for about 1 minute, and then turn the speed up to medium and mix for another 3 minutes or so, and slowly add the salt while it’s running. This dough will remain ‘loose’ and not form a ball around the dough hook. (See photos.)
- Transfer dough to a large bowl sprayed with cooking spray and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area for about 3 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with plastic wrap and sprinkle the top of the dough with a little bit of flour. press down the flour and dump it onto the plastic wrap in the baking sheet. Cover the top with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, take the dough out and let it warm on the counter for about 10 minutes. Dump it out on a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 1/8 to 1/16 inch thin. (Some like to make a large circle, I form a rectangle to save space.) Line the rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. With a pizza cutter, slice the dough into triangles and roll the large end to the small. Place on the baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours to three days.
- Remove the rolls from the fridge and remove the plastic wrap. Cover with another rimmed baking sheet (or stick in a large plastic bag if you don’t have another rimmed baking sheet). Let them sit on the counter for 45 to 60 minutes. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and move a rack to center position, and another rack just below it. Place a brownie pan or other oven pan on the lower rack and allow it to heat with the oven.
- Melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter in the microwave and with a pastry brush, gently glaze the tops of the doughy rolls. Place the rolls in the oven on the center rack. Quickly pour a cup or two of hot tap water into the pan below it. It will hiss and steam, this is ok, just be careful. Set the timer to 10 minutes. After the rolls have cooked for 10 minutes, lower the oven temp to 325 and bake for another 14-16 minutes, or when the rolls are light golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes and serve warm with butter.
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American